Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Choices are for the Living

Choices are for the Living
Matthew 18:23-34   23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[a] was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
   26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
   28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.[b] He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
   29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
   30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.
   32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
Readers, we need to recognize a few things about forgiveness, one thing we need to recognize is un-forgiveness is hypocritical. God’s son, Jesus, was crucified on a cross and gave every bit of his blood so we could be forgiven, restored, redeemed, and justified. Many of us remember the cross, but what we tend forget is the brutal crucifixion, we forget as Jesus was dying a slow death He managed to say these words, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)  In verse 35 of Matthew 18 Jesus says, “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”  Wow! Jesus was unveiling a no nonsense truth to us, Jesus was referring to the last statement being made in verse 34, “ In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.”  This is what un-forgiveness does; it puts us in prison where we are tortured with our thoughts, our revenge, our obsession with holding onto a prison sentence which no longer belongs to us. I have never seen so many tortured people as I have seen in the last few years, self mutilation of the mind they are constantly creating a reenactment of their abuse. When they rise their pain wakes up to greet them, when they go to bed their pain tucks them in at night. The world has become a giant masquerade party; as they slip in and out of a mask of deception wearing a papier-mâché’ smile. The people who have chosen not to forgive are committing spiritual suicide because the word of God clearly says, “they will be turned over to the jailer, (Satan) to be tortured.”      
I love what the Apostle Paul says in, (2 Corinthians 11: 24-27) says      24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
Now, the same man who said those words said these in (Philippians 3:13-15) 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
Readers, too many of you have been reminiscing in your past, you have been counting the lashes of your life, recalling the rod of injustice, counting the stones that were hurled at you, you have taken people on your ship to show them your wreckage, you have dog paddled through the night of your deepest pain, you have stayed up many evening hours in remembrance of your sorrow, you have starved yourself with the inability to partake in the nourishment of forgiveness, and you have gone without your robe of righteousness, ( right standing with God) standing naked, because you have chosen to live in a place called your past. The Apostle Paul says, but one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.  People like this are too busy to be petty, they are busy doing the work of the Kingdom, and their minds are set on the things from above. I don’t mean your pain is petty but the thought that your pain is somehow greater than the pain our Lord Jesus endured on the cross is petty.  Don’t allow yourself another day of excuses why you can’t forgive because one day you will stand before God and answer for every idle word, un-forgiveness is a word, it’s a choice. Stop what you are doing right now close your eyes think about your husband, wife, mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa, and friends what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of each person? If it’s an offense then you have not freely forgiven, your still trying to make them pay a price for something that’s already been paid in full. Pray this prayer when you’re ready to be set free.  
Lord Jesus, please forgive me for setting aside Grace, for taking hostages and holding them for ransom. Lord, as I forgive, forgive me. As I walk in the light expel the darkness in the rooms I’ve not allowed any one to open. Lord, saturate me with the power of forgiveness, grace, and mercy. Give me the strength to break the chains I have put myself in and help me unlock the chains I put others in by my unwillingness to forgive.  Amen   Choices are for the Living….Live free, Live Love, Live Loud for Jesus.
For prayer request or questions about my column email me at fbministries@comcast.net  To order my books go to fbministries.com I have written a true story about my life,” Ripened on the Vine”, a testimony of God’s grace, restoration, and forgiveness.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips